The pretty city of Salzburg has a lot to offer visitors. No matter what time of year you travel to Austria, there is plenty to keep you busy. To help you decide where to spend your time, below is my list of the top 10 things to do in Salzburg:
1. Visit the cathedral – Salzburg cathedral is one of the most famous buildings in the city. The current structure is the third incarnation of the cathedral, and was built in the Italian style in the 17th century. The interior is worth a look, as are the five organs.
2. Go to Mozart’s birthplace – Mozart is one of Salzburg’s most famous residents. The house where he was born is now a museum, and visitors can see where the famous Austrian composer spent the early years of his life.
3. Take a walk through the Mirabell Palace gardens – The Mirabell Palace gardens are one of the most beautiful places in Salzburg. Bursting with color throughout most of the year, they are a great place to stroll on a sunny afternoon.
4. Go on the Sound of Music tour – The famous Sound of Music tour is one of the most popular activities for people visiting Salzburg. The tour takes you to many of the places that were featured in the film, including the house that served as the home of the von Trapp family, the gazebo where one of the songs was sung, and the church where the wedding took place.
5. Visit the castle – Salzburg castle dominates the city skyline, and visiting it is definitely one of the top 10 things to do in Salzburg. You can get there by funicular or by walking up the hill, and once you are there you can explore the grounds and admire the views over the city.
6. Visit the Christmas markets – If you happen to be in Salzburg in the wintertime, don’t miss the city’s famous Christmas markets. Spread across several plazas by the cathedral, the markets are home to traditional craft stalls and stands selling hot food and wine. There is also an ice skating rink nearby.
7. Have dinner at the oldest restaurant in Europe – Dating back to 803, the St. Peter Stiftskeller restaurant is famous throughout the city. The restaurant has a series of small dining rooms where guests can enjoy traditional Austrian cuisine. There are also banquet rooms that often host Mozart concerts and other dinner shows.
8. Take a hike – Salzburg is surrounded by beautiful countryside, and there are hiking trails that lead from the city center up into the hills. Spend an afternoon walking along the paths to get a feel for the city’s outdoor spaces.
9. Go skiing – Austria is famous for its great skiing, and Salzburg is close to many of the country’s most famous ski resorts. If you are visiting Austria in the winter and have time during your trip, a day on the slopes is a great way to see the country.
10. Eat Mozartkugel – Perhaps the most famous food in Salzburg is Mozartkugel chocolate, and trying a piece is definitely one of the top 10 things to do in Salzburg. The originals are from Furst, which has several shops around the old town. Many other companies produce them as well, so you will have plenty of opportunities to buy them when you are visiting the city.