With its beautiful cathedral and festive winter Christmas markets, Cologne is one of the most famous cities in Germany. Below is my list of the top 5 things to do in Cologne:
1. Visit Cologne Cathedral. The cathedral is one of the most famous churches in Europe, and it is an impressive feat of Gothic architecture.
2. Take a river cruise. Cologne is located right on the Rhine river in Germany, and taking a day cruise or dinner cruise is a great way to spend your time while visiting.
3. Walk around the old town. Cologne’s old town is home to beautiful historic buildings, churches, and towers. The narrow cobbled streets offer great shopping opportunities, and strolling through them is definitely one of the top 5 things to do in Cologne.
4. Visit a traditional German beer house in Cologne. Two of the best are Malzmuhle at Heumarkt 6 and Bei Oma Kleinmann at Zulpicher Strasse 9. The traditional interiors, great German food, and copious amounts of German beer will make you want to stay all day.
5. Visit the Cologne Christmas markets. If you are lucky enough to be in Cologne in November or December, don’t miss the city’s Christmas Markets. The six excellent markets are most definitely one of the top 5 things to do in Cologne.