Heidelberg Christmas Markets dates:
late November to late December
Heidelberg Christmas Markets hours:
Open Sunday to Friday from 11:00 to 21:00, Saturday from 11:00 to 22:00
The German Christmas markets in Heidelberg are some of the most beautiful in the whole country. If you are visiting Germany at Christmastime, they are the perfect place to get into the seasonal spirit.
The five main Heidelberg Christmas markets are located in the city’s old town. They are spread across Kornmarkt, Marktplatz, Universitatsplatz, Anatomiegarten, and Bismarckplatz, making for a large market area in the heart of the city.
In addition to the 140 traditional market stalls selling handicrafts and food, the Heidelberg markets feature rides and entertainment that ranges from choir concerts, orchestras, and storytellers. At the opening ceremony, the Heidelberg Christ child greets visitors at the City Hall to the sound of traditional music.
Christmas on Ice in Karlsplatz is another unique feature of the Heidelberg Christmas markets. It is an open-air skating rink where visitors can ice skate in a festive atmosphere at the base of Castle Hill. It is open every day between 10:00 and 22:00 all the way up until early January (closed 24 December).
With its beautiful cathedral and festive winter Christmas markets, Cologne is one of the most famous cities in Germany. Below is my list of the top 5 things to do in Cologne:
1. Visit Cologne Cathedral. The cathedral is one of the most famous churches in Europe, and it is an impressive feat of Gothic architecture.
2. Take a river cruise. Cologne is located right on the Rhine river in Germany, and taking a day cruise or dinner cruise is a great way to spend your time while visiting.
3. Walk around the old town. Cologne’s old town is home to beautiful historic buildings, churches, and towers. The narrow cobbled streets offer great shopping opportunities, and strolling through them is definitely one of the top 5 things to do in Cologne.
4. Visit a traditional German beer house in Cologne. Two of the best are Malzmuhle at Heumarkt 6 and Bei Oma Kleinmann at Zulpicher Strasse 9. The traditional interiors, great German food, and copious amounts of German beer will make you want to stay all day.
5. Visit the Cologne Christmas markets. If you are lucky enough to be in Cologne in November or December, don’t miss the city’s Christmas Markets. The six excellent markets are most definitely one of the top 5 things to do in Cologne.