Florence is one of the most popular cities to visit in Italy. Its wealth of art, architecture, and history make for a wide variety of things to see there. To help you decide how to spend your time, below is my list of the top 10 things to do in Florence:
1. Take a walk through the beautiful Boboli Gardens. They are particularly pretty in the spring and summer months, so don’t miss an opportunity to see them in bloom if you visit Florence during those times.
2. Explore the Mercato Centrale food market in Florence and get a tripe sandwich for lunch at its most famous shop, Da Nerbone.
3. Visit the Baptistery of John the Baptist to see Ghiberti’s famous bronze doors. They are both enormous and stunning to behold.
4. Take a tour of the Pitti Palace to see how the powerful Medici family lived.
5. Visit the Gallerie dell’Accademia to see Michelangelo’s David.
6. Explore the Basilica di Santa Croce to see the tombs of Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Rossini, and Ghiberti. While there, don’t miss Brunelleschi’s famous Cappella dei Pazzi.
7. Walk around the sculpture exhibition in the loggia of the Palazzo Vecchio in the Piazza della Signoria. Just don’t mistake the replica of Michelangelo’s David for the real thing!
8. Walk up the 463 stairs to the top of the Duomo for great views of Florence.
9. Spend an afternoon visiting the Uffizi gallery to see famous Renaissance art by the Italian masters.
10. Walk along the Ponte Vecchio, Florence’s most famous bridge.